Saturday 6 March 2010

Derbyshire Slang

Hello, again! I was browing over on my facebook and someone was talking to me about slang words. It got me thinking about my local area, which is Derbyshire, and well I love the slang words we use around here. I thought i would share some of them with you, so here they are!

Ah'll cloth yer one! - I'll hit you!
Aah-do! - How do you do?
Be said - Thats enough
Belter - A good one
Boz-eyed - Crossed eyed
Clammy - Humid
Cob - A bread roll
Duck - A friendly expression meaning love, dear.
Dunna wittle - Dont worry about it
Ee's never sweat - Hes lazy
Eh's thray shaits te t'wind - hes drunk
Ey-up! - Universal Greeting
Jitty - Small lane
Manny - Angry
Mardy - Childish
Supwiyo - Whats up with you
Teggies - Teeth, usually childrens
Wobbie - Wasp
Spidge - Chewing gum
Youth - As in: "eh up youth!" aka friendly greeting
Bobby off - leave in a hurry
Mardy - childish
Pots - Dishes, aka Ah'll go n wash t'pots!"
Rate - Ok, Good, Wicked.
Int winder bottom - On the window sill
Its gerrin black over Bills mothas - Black rain clouds are building up. Bill nor his mother have never been satisfactorily identified

There you have it, they are the most popular slang words used around the Derbyshire area. Hope if your planning on traveling to Derbyshire any time soon and hear someone using any of these words that you will find my translations useful! I love Derbyshire, even if sometimes i do say i hate it!

Leanne x

1 comment: