Thursday 11 November 2010

Rememberance Day



So as you all know today is rememberance day. I was just looking through facebook status' and I have to say I was suprised and felt my heart warmed at the amout of rememberance poems and messages on peoples profiles. Remember that today we aren't just remembering those from the 2nd world war, but also from the current war on terrorism, world war one and all of the battles that have gone before. Remember the men and women who gave and continue to give their lives to allow us to keep our freedom. Honour and respect those individuals and thier families. I personally am full of admeration and deep respect for all of them.

My Grandad Frank was a soilder. From what my mum told me, he dug out the trenches along the front line. My great uncle Doug was also a soilder. I'm not sure what his position was in the war but I have to say, I'm very proud of them both. I'm honoured to call myself his grand daughter.

My Grandad and Great Uncle Doug - Not very good quality picture
 
The second world war is something that has interested me since I was young. I  have since read and watched many documentries on the subject. I'm in awe at how people survived, how the soilders lived. How the women on the home front took on work loads and held together british society. The war to me was a true mark on humanity and civilization. The war was the hardest time to be living in. The people rallyed round, supported each other and every street was an extended family. They let the nazis know that they could not shake the foundations of a great nation.

I'm not a religious person but God bless the soilders who are out fighting for our freedom at this moment. God bless the souls of the fallen soilders and their families. God bless the soilder who have been injured service.

One of the local monuments - Buxton, Derbyshire, The Slopes


The memorial nearest to where I live. Built in 1924 - First world war

Forces grave yard - St. Marys Manby in Lincolnshire

Just a note to those who say that these men and women aren't heros just remember if you aren't willing to stand behind them and support them, feel free to stand in front of them!

Leanne x

No comments:

Post a Comment